BRING FLEXIBILITY TO YOUR SURVEY EXPERIENCE
Minimize survey logistical costs, reduce operational down time, and eliminate waiting for surveyor attendance. ABS Remote Survey affords you scheduling convenience and operational efficiency. We encourage our clients to consider the PMP notation to take full advantage of Remote Survey. All requests are subject to ABS review and acceptance on a case by case basis.
What surveys are available remotely and is my vessel eligible for remote survey?
- CMS - Remote survey for CMS machinery item credit is available to vessels with PMP notation.
- Tail Shaft Survey Three-Month Extension – Eligible for any vessel with a Tail Shaft Survey.
- Minor Damage Survey – Eligible for minor damage upon ABS review and acceptance. For questions contact us at ABSGlobalSupport@eagle.org.
NOTE: An example of minor damage is a set-in or fracture that corresponds to three points or fewer in accordance with the Inspection Grading Criteria for ABS Hull Inspection and Maintenance Program (HIMP).
- Outstanding Class Recommendation (OSR) – Eligible for remote survey on vessels with an OSR that can be verified through documented evidence.
- Outstanding Statutory Deficiency (OSD) – Eligible for remote survey on vessels with an OSD that can be verified through documented evidence. Approvals may be subject to flag administration authorization.
- Remote Underwater Examination of Offshore Units – Eligible for remote survey requiring a real-time data connection capable of handling the video, audio, and communication feeds for a ROV. Minimum feed requirements are 720p video, 30 frames per second, and less than six second communication lag. The examination must be performed by an approved external specialist.
How do I obtain a PMP notation?
- Contact your local survey office and request a surveyor to attend the vessel.
What are the requirements of a PMP notation?
What type of data can I submit?
- Documents, photos and videos can be submitted of any file type except .EXE. There is no limit to the number of files that can be uploaded. A link for data upload is provided in the remote survey request confirmation email.
How do I request a remote survey?
- Please visit web forms available online. A link for data upload is provided in the remote survey request confirmation email.
Who performs my Remote Survey?
- ABS has established a dedicated, global Remote Survey team of highly experienced surveyors to conduct remote surveys and maintain a high quality of consistent service.
How long will it take to get a response?
- Upon survey request, a confirmation email of submittal is sent immediately. An ABS surveyor will respond within 24 hours to accept the request or advise whether any additional information is needed.
Where will the remote underwater examination be conducted?
- The surveyor and the owner will attend the same local facility to view the remote examination. The facility is selected by the owner or external specialists providing the service.
Who can submit the request and documentation?
- CMS - We can accept requests from the owner, provided the Chief Engineer has endorsed the request.
- Tail Shaft Survey Extension - We can accept requests from the owner, provided the Chief Engineer has endorsed the request.
- Minor Damage – We can accept requests endorsed by the Captain.
- OSR – We can accept requests endorsed by the Captain or Chief Engineer as appropriate.
- OSD - We can accept requests endorsed by the Captain or Chief Engineer as appropriate.
- Remote Underwater examination of Offshore units – We can accept requests from any authorized owner representatives inquiring about ABS services.