The Rapid Response Damage Assessment program (RRDA) is an organized team of engineers, naval architects, master mariners and support staff that respond 24/7 to ship related emergencies such as grounding and collision. Enrollment of a vessel in RRDA ensures direct access to technical support that is needed during vessel casualties. When activated, RRDA is an extension of the vessel management team’s own response capability, focusing on the measure of changes occurring to hull strength, stability and the extent to which risk of pollution can be mitigated.
Regulatory Requirements and Industry Guidelines
RRDA complies with the following regulations and industry guidelines:
- MARPOL Regulation 1/37(4), as circulated by resolution mepc.117(52), all oil tankers of 5,000 tonnes deadweight or more shall have prompt access to computerized shore-based damage stability and residual structural strength calculation programs.
- MARPOL 73/78 Annex I, Regulation 37 requires a shipboard oil pollution emergency plan (SOPEP) for all tankers of 150 gross tons or more and all other vessels of 400 gross tons or more.
- US Coast Guard requirements of OPA 90 in 33 CFR 155.240 for oil tankers and offshore oil barges, in which owners are required to have “prearranged, prompt access to computerized shore-based damage stability and residual structural strength calculations.”
- The ISM Code, Section 8, requires the company to establish procedures to respond to potential emergency shipboard situations, including the use of drills and exercises to prepare for emergencies.
- OCIMF Guidelines on Capabilities of Emergency Response Providers.
- IACS Rec. No. 145 Recommendation for the Operation of Shore-Based Emergency Response Services.
If you are interested in enrolling in the RRDA program or would like more information, please contact our office at +1-281-877-6042, or email us directly at email@example.com.
For Vessels enrolled in the RRDA Program:
24-hour Emergency Phone Numbers
For vessel inquiries needing local ABS support, please refer to the ABS directory.