WHAT IS THE MARINE EQUIPMENT DIRECTIVE?
The Marine Equipment Directive (MED) is a requirement developed by the European Commission to ensure the quality of marine equipment placed onboard European flagged ships. The directive aim is to increase marine safety and reduce the risk of marine pollution. Directive 2014/90/EU stipulates that marine equipment to be installed on new or existing ships shall be approved to, and bear the MED mark of conformity, the “Wheel Mark”.
BENEFITS OF ABS EU MED
- ABS has vast experience working with the MED, gained from being an instrumental member of the working groups that designed the structure of the MED and a dedicated team of experienced engineers that can help guide clients through the entire certification process.
- ABS is a recognized organization for many flag States outside of the EU, expanding the scope of MED certification acceptance beyond that attainable by standalone notified bodies.
- ABS wheel marked equipment will be accessible to clients, globally, through our Type Approval database and MarED websites, offering enhanced product marketing opportunities.
- Equipment manufacturers will gain authorization to display the ABS logo on products.
- Clients holding or applying to a Type Approval or Design Assessment will enjoy a smooth transition to EU MED.
- Eligible products can be accepted by the USCG concurrently with EU MED certification.
NEW APPLICANT APPROVAL PROCESS
APPLICANTS WITH AN EXISTING NOTIFIED BODY (NB) APPROVAL PROCESS
Existing products under Mod. B or D require a detailed assessment, but we can credit existing test reports when:
- Issued by an accredited test lab
- Issued no earlier than allowed by the referenced standards
- In compliance with the latest EU MED regulation
ABS, through its Italian subsidiary, ABS Italy Srl, has been involved from the outset in the development of the MED as one of the industry members in the working group meetings at the European Commission in Brussels. ABS is also an active member of the MarED group of Notified Bodies that develop and implement the MED. Further information about MarED can be obtained from their website at www.mared.org.
Designation of ABS as a NB is under Italian D.P.R. 239/2017 and Italian Coast Guard Decree 1338/2019 as implementing Directive 2014/90/EU of the European Parliament and the council of July 23, 2014, on the Marine Equipment and repealing council Directive 96/98/EC as amended.
ABS is designated for the purposes of the approval and conformity assessment of marine equipment as detailed in Annex II of Directive 2014/90/EU for the following types of marine equipment:
- MED/1: Life-Saving Appliances – all products
- MED/2: Marine Pollution Prevention Equipment – all products
- MED/3: Fire Protection Equipment – all products
- MED/6.1: Navigation Lights
- MED/7.1: Self-contained Compressed-air-operated Breathing Apparatus
- MED/8.1: Water Level Detectors
As a NB, ABS can type approve the above types of equipment under the MED and issue EC Type-Examination (Module B) and Quality Assurance/Product Verification (Modules D or E/F) or Unit Verification (Module G) certificates. On completion of the approval process ABS can authorize a manufacturer to stamp the product with the MED mark of conformity (the “Wheel Mark”) in accordance with Annex I of the Directive 2014/90/EU detailing the ABS Italy Srl NB identification number 2843 and the year the mark was affixed
Please contact our dedicated team of engineers to discuss your MED requirements at ABS-MED@eagle.org