Step-by-Step Process for Type Approval
STEP 1: PDA APPLICATION
Please complete the application form and send the submittal package to the nearest engineering office.
Submittal Package Includes:
- Application Form
- Electronic copies of applicable drawings, datasheets, test results, etc.
- Sufficient data to verify compliance with stated standards
- Must be specific to the intended services stated on the application.
Standards for Approval:
- ABS Rules and Guides
- US National and/or Foreign National
- US Federal and/or Foreign Federal
- International Standards (e.g. IMO, SOLAS, FTP Code)
- Manufacturer's standards.
STEP 2: PRODUCT DESIGN ASSESSMENT
A PDA is a technical evaluation of a product for use on a variety of ABS-classed units. ABS Engineers verify product compliance with manufacturers’ specifications, applicable ABS Rules and national or international standards.
- ABS technical office reviews the product design to the most current Rules and Standards
Prototype Testing or Type Testing:
- During technical review, if deemed necessary, prototype testing or type testing needs to be arranged with the local port office
Issuance of Product Design Assessment Certificate (PDA):
- A PDA Certificate is valid for 5 years, subject to design modification and rule changes
- PDAs will be listed in the ABS Type Approval database
- PDA holders are eligible to use ABS Design Assessed logos
- Product status becomes: Design Assessed
STEP 3: MANUFACTURER ASSESSMENT
If the manufacturer wants a product to be labeled Type Approved, inspection of the product during manufacture, an assessment of the quality control system and manufacturing processes plant must be satisfactorily completed, this is a Manufacturing Assessment (MA).
Please complete the Type Approval Audits Request Form and send a signed copy
to the nearest port office.
- Manufacturing facility
- Valid PDA Certificates or PDA-Duplicate Certificates
- Valid ISO 9001 Certification, or equivalent
Issuance of MA Certificate:
- A MA Certificate is valid for 5 years, subject to annual plant audits
- MA details will be listed in the associated PDA Certificates
STEP 4: TYPE APPROVAL CERTIFICATION
The PDA and the MA together result in Type Approval.
- Product status becomes: Type Approved (PDA+MA)
- Confirmation of Type Approval (PDF) is automatically generated for manufacturers who have both PDA and MA in the Type Approval database
- Manufacturers are eligible to use ABS Type Approved logos in marketing materials.
If you have any questions, please contact Corporate ABS Programs at email@example.com for assistance.